duPasquier. Les Baleiniers Francais de Louis XVI a Napoleon
|Citation||duPasquier, J. Thierry. Les Baleiniers Francais de Louis XVI a Napoleon. Paris: Henri Veyrier, 1990.|
- Limiting your search
- The dropdown menus beside the Search button will limit your search to a single database or single entity (masters, vessels...) You can use either dropdown separately or both together.
- Multiple words
- The search engine treats multiple words as if they were combined with AND. For example, if you enter
Morgan Charlesyou will find any records that contain both
Charles, in any order.
- Words you enter are automatically treated as 'stems', that is, as if there were a wildcard at the end. So, if you enter
whalyou will find records containing
- Exact match
- To match an exact phrase, enclose in quotation marks, for instance,
"Charles W. Morgan"
- Searches are not case-sensitive.
- Punctuation marks are anathema. If you want to search for something that includes punctuation, enclose your search in quotation marks.
- Results tabs: Click on any tab to display a table of results.
- Full records are available: Click on the icon at the left edge of any search result to view the full record.
- Sort by columns: Click on any column heading (Destination△▽) to sort results by that column. Click again to reverse the sort order.
Code tables and Column definitions
For each database there is a page with values for codes and abbreviations used in the tables as well as definitions and usage information for each database column. Find it through the Whaling History Data entry in the main menu.
Advanced search: Data Viewers
Researchers who want more sophisticated data management capabilities should explore the Data Viewers available for each database. Data Viewers are listed under the Whaling History Data main menu entry. There is also a Getting Started page that explains how to use all Data Viewer features: The Data Viewer Interface.
- Search within individual columns or combine searches in multiple columns
- Sort by any column or by multiple columns
- View or hide columns, and access every column available in the data
- Select a set of records for copying or printing
- Download a set of records to the desktop
Data files and supporting material for most databases are available for download from the Download Whaling History Data page.