National Maritime Digital Library
The Digital Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible maritime resources in electronic format, thereby promoting maritime cultural heritage scholarship.
- Whalemen’s Shipping List and Merchants’ Transcript, 1843-1914
- Information is available for about 250 whaling voyages from San Francisco in the San Francisco Shanghaiers database
New Bedford Whaling Museum
- Logbooks, on Internet Archive
- Logbooks on Old Weather Whaling, a crowdsourced / citizen science transcription project
- Nautical charts, hosted on Digital Commonwealth
- Collections Overview
- The “Registers of Seamen’s Protection Certificates” issued at the custom houses of Fall River, Gloucester, New Haven, New London, Newport, Marblehead, and Salem from 1796–1871
- Whaling vessels and crew may have sailed on voyages that were not whaling voyages—the complete crew list databases for these ports are available: New London crew lists and Salem crew lists.
- Index of Ship Registers (1858-1900), containing annual information on commercial vessels
- Connecticut Ships, vessels registered in Connecticut (1789-1939)
- Collections & Online Resources